Wednesday, July 10, 2013

The Running Back Dilemma


This morning, I did something outside of my comfort zone. I drafted Jamaal Charles. It was only a mock draft but it still seemed like I was sky diving without a parachute. I had the fourth pick in the first round. The three obvious running backs were chosen before. These three running backs were Adrian Peterson, Arian Foster and Doug Martin. That left me to pick between Marshawn Lynch, Jamaal Charles, LeSean McCoy and CJ Spiller.

If the draft was the real deal I probably would have gone with Lynch. He is my guy and I tend to stick with my guys. Jamaal has upside because of the way new Kansas City coach Andy Reid uses his running backs. Jamaal is one of the fastest running backs in the league, that means he could be lethal in the open field. Also, the running game seems to be the go to option for Kansas City so Jamaal will get his touches. One concerning thing about Jamaal is his lack of redzone touches.

CJ Spiller is an enticing pick because of the lack of weapons the Buffalo Bills can throw at an opposing defense. The Bills used CJ in the open field and he was one of the deadliest backs with the ball past the line of scrimmage. Last year, CJ was third in the NFL in yards after contact (YAC). CJ is a sure fire first round pick.

McCoy is a talented running back, there is no denying that. His troubles last year have cast a shadow over his spotlight as the number three running back in ESPN's preseason rankings. New coach Chip Kelly can be creative with how he uses his offense, so the upside is there but Bryce Brown has the potential to take carries away from McCoy.

Marshawn Lynch is heavily used in the Seattle offense. Besides that he is a beast in YAC and can really make any carry in the redzone into a touchdown. His upside is undeniable and his lack of injuries is attractive. Again, I would pick Lynch over any of these guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment