Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Strategic Drafting Can Set Up Trades


 Executing a trade that benefits both teams can take a lot of work. The biggest difficulty is finding an owner who needs a type of player that you can afford to trade. One way to do this is to draft running backs the first three rounds and flip those running backs for players that you did not draft. For example, if I pick an elite running back (Adrian Peterson, Arian Foster) in the first round and really good running backs in the next two rounds, then I could try to flip one of the running backs for a really good tight end and a decent running back. This is an obvious risk to take but it can be done.

In a previous blog, Trading Guys: A Mess Or A Thing Of Beauty I discussed what it takes for a trade to be made and what needs to happen for an owner to be interested in your offer.

To follow up on that post, I wanted to discuss what players could be drafted in the first 5 or so rounds that would have owners asking you for a trade. I used running backs as an example because of the importance they have to a fantasy team. Also, the serious demand they have in fantasy football because of the few elite or really good running backs in the NFL. 

So, if I drafted Doug Martin, Marshawn Lynch and CJ Spiller in the first three rounds, I would have a ton of trading leverage. Please note that drafting these guys three rounds in a row would be a serious accomplishment. Really what I am trying to say is draft a top tier running back followed by two very solid running backs. If you can pull this off, there will no doubt be an owner in serious need for a running back. After those three rounds, you should pick wide receivers and a QB, if you can snag a tight end instead of a wide receiver do so. It's important that you leave one position in need.

If I were an owner who had Jason Witten and Randall Cobb I would be very tempted to accept an offer to trade those two for a running back like Lynch and I would be crazy not to trade for Martin.The point I am trying to make is if you get ahold of a surplus of running backs, you could flip one player for two players. This would essentially give you another high draft pick.



No comments:

Post a Comment